Friends of the Olmsted-Beil House
The Friends of the Olmsted-Beil House is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) charitable organization created to protect the historic home on Staten Island that was owned by Frederick Law Olmsted, Sr., in the 1830’s. The Olmsted Farmhouse, once known as Tosomock Farm and today as the Olmsted-Beil House, sits on 1.7 acres just one block from the shores of Raritan Bay in the neighborhood of Eltingville. The original 130 acres, where Olmsted lived, farmed prize-winning pears and explored his growing interest in landscape design, have changed over the years from orchards and fields to housing developments.
Friends of the Olmsted-Beil House was established in order to protect and preserve the historic site. In 1967, the house and remaining land were designated a New York City Landmark in recognition of its famous owner Frederick Law Olmsted, Sr., designer of Central Park and many other acclaimed projects. In later years educator Carlton Beil, the last private owner of the home, ensured preservation by selling the house to the NYC Department of Parks and Recreation. The Olmsted-Beil House is officially listed on both the New York State Register of Historic Places and the National Register of Historic Places, further protecting the site from development.
The Friends of Olmsted-Beil House work to generate support and funding for the restoration of the historic farmhouse and its surrounding property. The oldest part of the house dates back to 1680 and a number of trees planted by Frederick Law Olmsted still stand today.
More information on the organization can be found at olmstedbeilhouse.org